As the actor’s strike approaches its 100th day, Oscar winner George Clooney and other prominent Hollywood figures have proposed paying the SAG-AFTRA actors union $150 million to end it.
Their proposal, which Clooney’s representative revealed on Thursday, would provide the union with an additional $150 million over three years and maybe help pay for better health coverage.
Clooney said top actors wouldn’t start collecting residuals until lesser-known actors earned theirs.
“A lot of the top earners want to be part of the solution,” Clooney told Hollywood outlet Deadline, which broke the story. “We think it’s fair for us to pay more into the union.”
A SAG-AFTRA official did not immediately answer an inquiry for comment. Since July, SAG-AFTRA members have been on strike. Hopes for a speedy settlement were dashed last week when negotiations between the union and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) broke down.
The strike, which will reach its 100th day on Saturday, has halted the production of movies and television shows, leaving thousands of staff and performers unemployed.
This month, Hollywood’s screenwriters for motion pictures and television shows approved a new, three-year contract, ending their 148-day strike.
In summary, the Hollywood actors’ $150 million pledge is a pivotal development in the ongoing strike, with the potential to impact not only the entertainment industry but also the lives of the workers and the wider community.
Watching the situation unfold, the actors’ generosity and commitment to change are powerful examples of what can be achieved when influential figures come together for a common cause.